Skip to main content

CILIP and I: a changing relationship (Thing 21)




I’ve been a member is CILIP and its predecessor since my student days back in 2001. Since then I have had a changing relationship with CILIP. In the mid 2000’s I stopped my membership for a variety of reasons – problems finding a mentor, little or no accessible training opportunities near me, cost of membership, the removal by  my local authority of the non-chartered salary bar ,  and a perception that the organisation had nothing to offer me. About 6 years ago I re-joined, partly to be able to work towards becoming a chartered librarian and a change in my attitude towards CILIP - If I claimed to be a library professional, I needed to be part of the professional body that is representing me and keeping abreast of current issues. At the time local authority cuts were starting to bite into the service and keeping up to date on current library news, advocacy and training took on a new incentive. I now have a much more positive relationship with CILIP, and the assault on public and school libraries has made that relationship stronger as the need for a strong professional body is greater than ever before. CILIP is changing too, having recently undertaken a consultation exercise with members to create a new vision for the organisation including a much welcomed review of the membership fees which are now make membership much more accessible. A clear statement to reach out to the whole library sector including school librarians has also been a welcome message to the sector I am in.  

Being a member of CILIP and working towards my CILIP chartership has had the biggest impact on my CPD and has led me to be more involved in the wider library sector. Having to self-access skills and knowledge has made me actively seek out information and undertake training that I wouldn’t have if not for chartership. Looking into volunteers in public libraries is now a key area of interest to me thanks to visiting a volunteer run public library on holiday in Lincolnshire because I wanted to  research professional issues outside of my sector for chartership. I now have strong background and knowledge of this essential as the use of volunteers to run libraries slowly creeps into Scotland. I have also been lucky enough to be funded for the 2016 School Library Association conference though the CILIPS Development Fund to support my chartership. This was my first library related conference and I can’t believe what I have been missing out on all the years I was actively avoiding them! I have attended others since including the CILIPS Autumn Gathering, finding them a real positive experience especially at a time of cuts and budget reductions, and a way to network with fellow librarians and publishers and share ideas which I can then share with my colleagues and school. Since attending I’m now aiming for one conference a year whether school related of CILIPS full conference. Through liking the chartership Facebook page I’ve been able to access and share ideas and support, as well as links to training opportunities and interesting articles. Rudai 23 course appeared on the site and has led me to experience and try a whole host new web based technologies and tools I didn’t know about or didn’t use, and a link to the Wyoming State Library  training calendar https://library.wyo.gov/services/training/calendar/ introduced me to the world of webinars for  library realted learning. The site has webinars offered by library services and universities across America on a huge range of topics.  I have been able to use these to find about libraries and services in America, new ideas and concepts like floating library collections, links to whole day virtual conferences and so much more. I actively search the collection every month to select ones of interest. They are all free and a great way to add interest to your CPD from home and increase awareness of the wider library world and contact other library professionals.  Without being a member of CILIP and without moving towards become a chartered librarian I would not have had these experiences which I am able to channel into my work to improve my service and share with colleagues. I certainly value CILP member much more than I did ten years ago.

I still have some reservations regarding CILIP, mainly from being so far north of the central belt of Scotland, where the few Scottish events tend to take place and the lack of video conference and Webinar usage for training, meeting and conference. In the past this would have been enough to make me stop my membership, but now I am looking at what can I do about this and who can I raise these concerns with. I’ve raised the webinar issue with our Moray CILIP SLG representative in relation to recent training in Edinburgh, I’ve put my name forward to be involved in relaunching the CILIP North group which will be on virtual basis, through which I hope the group will be able to champion the cause of online technology in support members and deliver training. It’s a start, and if we can encourage CILIP to use this technology, the organisation will open up more options for people, including myself to be involved with CILIP committees and events and training, without having to travel a total of 8-10 hours to attend a 2 hour meeting.  I look forward to progressing with these proposals with CILIP.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rudai 8: Infographics

Here is my first attempt with Piktochart. I thought in advance it would have been a case of changing a bit of text on a template and in minutes an infographic would exist. It took a little more time and ended up going back to look at the help videos. Even using an existing template don't underestimate the time that is required to put together an infographic! However I do think infographic visuals are very effective in making statistics you want to highlight stand out and draw peoples attention to them. I am going develop more for work and to try starting from scratch.Once I have the templates I need then it will be so much easier to just alter the data and publish. These will be very effective especially for end of year reports to highlight what I would like management to see first, and highlighting things like survey results to staff and students. One thing I will have to do is work out how to get better information and reports out of my Library Management system. I know what

Librarian on tour

Ayr Carnegie Library: detail from window On my summer holidays I managed to visit several brilliant libraries, including the Ayr Carnegie Library, the Maybole Carnegie Public Library, and a visit to Scotland's oldest lending library at Innerpeffray - which proved to be an absolutely amazing library! With the future of many libraries uncertain, I do feel we should be supporting libraries whenever and wherever we can, even if that is just to look inside or ask a question. Who knows what else you may find while there. For example, at Innerpeffray Library my friend and I found ourselves leafing through a gardening book from the 1580's, and viewing hand written poems by Robert Burns, which was a privilege and delight to do. What will you discover at library near you? Maybole Carnegie Public Library  Innerpeffray Library: reading room and library

Rudai 5: Screencast-o-matic is magic!

Making a screen recording was suspiciously simple to do with Screencast-o-matic. Just a few clicks and I was recording what I was seeing on screen and narrating. So simple, so brilliant. I have tried instruction videos before but this involved propping up ipads, positioning of monitors, sitting in strange places so I wasn't seen on screen, then recording the voice over separately. It did the job though it was so time consuming and awkward. This system is so much simpler, straightforward and will be a boon for recording instructions for using the library catalogue or guides for using specific software etc. I'll certainly be sharing this with my librarian and teacher colleagues. This also has got me thinking about how I could have used this in my previous life in the public sector with providing on line guides to using our catalogue and website, and simple commuting guides. These would be especially useful for people accessing the service remotely, and indeed would be a usefu